UPDATED 7:02 AM PT — Friday, September 20, 2019
The Defense Department has finalized contracts to build new sections of the border wall in New Mexico, Arizona, and California. In a statement Thursday, the Pentagon said it has finalized almost $2.5 billion of contracts to build 129 miles of new border wall. Additionally, the Interior Department has transferred 560 acres of public land to the Pentagon for wall construction.
Earlier this month, Secretary of Defense Mark Esper reallocated $3.6 billion in Pentagon funds from military construction across the globe toward the border wall.
At the Pentagon today, @ChiefPentSpox provided a border wall update. https://t.co/HkWMqCJ2vY pic.twitter.com/L87DNSi58B
— U.S. Dept of Defense (@DeptofDefense) September 20, 2019
President Trump said wall construction will continue into next year.
“It’ll be over 400 miles and we think we can get it close to 500 Miles by the end of next year depending on certain terrain conditions, but we’re doing all of the most important areas,” he stated. “The wall, you won’t be able to touch it…you can you can fry an egg on that wall, it’s very, very hot.”
Pentagon officials said the pace of wall construction will speed up next year, with the planning and environmental assessment being almost completed in remaining areas along the border.
President @realDonaldTrump got an up-close look at progress on the border wall yesterday: “We’re building it at a breakneck speed.”
With construction underway, the results are undeniable: Border arrests dropped 30% between July and August.
1600 Daily: https://t.co/A68ueVC88u pic.twitter.com/62zlFybcrP
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) September 19, 2019